Producer: Town of High River
In the late 1800s, many whiskey traders from south of the border came to southern Alberta and set up trading forts where they exchanged liquor, arms, and ammunition for furs and buffalo hides. There were several forts on the Sheep and Highwood Rivers, but the largest was Fort Spitzee. There were at least two other posts also known as ‘Spitzee’. These posts proved to be disastrous for the
First Nations people. In 1874, the North West Mounted Police were sent west by the Canadian government to put an end to the whiskey trade. Traders heard of their arrival, and abandoned the forts – often burning them to the ground as they left. Kneeling in the foreground is Jerry Potts, who was a guide for the NWMP.
Artist: Terry Winter, 1992
For More Information: https://highriver.ca/high-river-murals/
Where to Find This Mural
Location: 118 4 Ave SW, High River, AB T1V 1P7 on the east side of Evelyn's Memory Lane a great place for lunch! | Get Directions