Aviation History in High River

The first mural (facing east) features squadron leader ‘Ack Ack Leitch’ one of Canada’s outstanding aviators and a long-time resident of High River. He was awarded both the Military Cross and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was stationed in High River at the Air Station and was later promoted to Officer Commanding. The parachutists are Flight Lieutenant Carter, M.M. seen
making the first local jump at the High River Air Station in 1926, and stunt man Roy Lomheim demonstrating his free-fall dive to students from the No. 5 Elementary Flying Training School in the 1940s. The south-facing mural shows an inspection at the No. 5 E.F.T.S. which operated on the former High River
Air Station site from 1941 to 1944. The west-facing mural depicts an aerial fire patrol carried out by members of the Canadian Air Force who manned the High River Air Station, which opened in 1921. Carrier pigeons were used until ground to air communications were established.

Artist: Doug Dreidiger, 1992-94

For more information on this mural visit:

Where to Find This Mural

Location: 128 3 Ave SW High River, AB T1V 1R3 Get Directions