The Toronto Mural Archive is a research project and touring exhibit, the first of its kind to survey the history of mural art in Toronto. Over the next few months, Mural Routes is gathering information and stories, taking time to reflect on the field’s developments so far, combining all this research and information together to share in a touring exhibit. The archive will provide context to both critically reflect and inspire the future mural art movement in Toronto, and to provide a template for other Ontario cities to follow.
Researching – We want to hear your input!
Since fall 2017, our team has been in the process of researching, listening and gathering stories. We are connecting with artists and groups who have been leaders of the mural movements in the city, as well as the general public, to learn about what you feel has shaped Toronto’s mural art scene.
That’s where you come in. If you feel like you have a story or perspective to share:
- answer this survey and/or
- connect directly with Tara Dorey, Curator, at email@example.com
The Exhibits and Events
Starting in March, our collection of stories, archival imagery and mural photos will be brought together in a retrospective exhibit for the public, highlighting Toronto’s public murals movements. The Toronto Mural Archive Exhibit will tour in 2018, in gallery spaces across Toronto. Each exhibit will coincide with an speakers event open to the public – with themes ranging from reflecting on the stories and history of the local mural scene, or looking towards innovations for the future. Special Events and Talks are to be announced – stay tuned for details!
- March 1st-31st: The Bluffs Gallery at Scarborough Arts
- Closing Event and Talk: March 28th, 7-9pm
- May 11th -June 2nd: Downtown Yonge BIA Pop Up Gallery
- Gallery Hours: Thursdays & Fridays 5-9pm, Saturdays 12-6pm
- June 5th – August 16th : Urbanspace Gallery at 401 Richmond
- Special event and Talk: July 24th, 6:30-9pm
- August 20th-September 21st: Storefront Gallery at Arts Etobicoke
Reception and Talk ‘Murals and Interactive Technology’ with Alex Mayhew: Wed, Sept 12th from 5-8pm.
The Toronto Mural Archive is generously supported by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.