Artist(s): Bruce Rickett

Second Chemainus Sawmill

Mural Routes Member(s): Chemainus Festival of Murals Society Completed: 1988

Dimensions: 2.4m x 6m (8’ x 20’)

Best Viewed: On the wall around the corner from Little Town Pizza.

“Historical Series #24: Second Chemainus Sawmill”

This sawmill was the second to be built on the same site. Constructed in 1879 by T.G. Askew, it was converted to steam power by Croft & Severne in 1883.

The mural is based on a photograph in 1886.

A mill operated continuously at this site for over 100 years before shutting down for a short period in 1983.

In 1985, MacMillan Bloedel opened a new modern mill, which marks the site of the longest continuous lumber production in BC.

(Please drop by the Chemainus Visitors Centre to buy your Official Mural Guide. Proceeds from the sale go to the Chemainus Festival of Murals Society).

For more information on this mural visit:

Where to Find This Mural

Location: 9734 Chemainus Rd, Chemainus, BC V0R 1K0, Canada Get Directions