Artist: John Hood, September 1991
Location: 1577 Kingston Road at Kildonan Drive, Scarborough
In 1862 the Scarborough Rifle Company was organized with headquarters in a school at Eglinton Avenue near Markham Road. It was the first of several militia companies formed in York County. The company was rushed to the Niagara Frontier three times in 1865 and 1866 to defend Canada against the Fenians. The Scarborough Rifle Company later became No. 1 Company of the 12th Battalion of Infantry, the forerunner of the Queen’s York Rangers.