Mural Routes Member(s): Chemainus Festival of Murals Society
Artist(s): Mike Svob
Producer: Chemainus Festival of Murals Society
Dimensions: 6.15m x 13.85m (20’ x 45’)
Best Viewed: Between Studio77 & The Barber and Thai Pinto Restaurant.
“Historical Series #19: Mill Street In 1948”
The first building on the left of old Mill Street was used as a Post Office until 1927. That year, streetlights made their first appearance in Chemainus, with power provided by the V L & M Co. Ltd.
Beyond the Post Office, towards the water, stood the sawmill superintendent’s office.
The company store closed its doors in September 1949, after 65 years of service. When the building was demolished a year later, wreckers discovered that the frame was made of clear lumber, with some pieces over 12.19 metres (40 ft) long, without a knot or defect of any kind!
Several boxes containing cast steel ox shoes, bearing the date 1885, were found under the floor.
Also depicted in the mural is a time clock shelter to the right of the employee parking area. Gordon Wharf and the government wharf recede into the background of Chemainus Harbour.
(Please drop by the Chemainus Visitors Centre to buy your Official Mural Guide. Proceeds from the sale go to the Chemainus Festival of Murals Society).
For More Information: http://muraltown.com
Where to Find This Mural
Location: 9877 Maple St, Chemainus, BC V0R 1K1, Canada | Get Directions