Mural Routes Member(s): Chemainus Festival of Murals Society
Artist(s): Mark & Harry Heine
Producer: Chemainus Festival of Murals Society
Dimensions: 30.5m x 13m (10.5’ x 43’)
Best Viewed: From the parking lot opposite the BC Liquor Store.
“Historical Series #15: Chemainus Tug Boat”
The tug boat Chemainus was built at Chemainus in 1909 for the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
Equipped with a coal burning engine (this was changed to oil in the 1920s), she was 26.8 metres (93 ft) long with a 6.4 metre (22 ft) beam, and a depth of 2.9 metres (10 ft).
On November 14, 1911, she caught fire at the coal bunkers in Coal Harbour, Vancouver, and burned to the water’s edge. She was salvaged in December and rebuilt. After being sold in 1918 to Kingcome Navigation Co. Ltd., she was brought back to Chemainus in 1923 by the Chemainus Towing Co. Ltd.
Then on November 24, 1945, she ran aground at Copeland Island (Ragged Island) and was written off as a total loss.
(Please drop by the Chemainus Visitors Centre to buy your Official Mural Guide. Proceeds from the sale go to the Chemainus Festival of Murals Society).
For More Information: More about this project
Where to Find This Mural
Location: 2592 Legion St, Chemainus, BC V0R 1K0, Canada | Get Directions