Artist(s): David Maclagan

Chemainus 1891

Mural Routes Member(s): Chemainus Festival of Murals Society Completed: 1983

Dimensions: 16.4m x 3.5m (54’ x 12’)

Best Viewed: On the west corner of Bonnie Martin Restaurant.

“Historical Series #8: Chemainus 1891”

The mural shows the original Chemainus, then known as Horseshoe Bay. Passenger cars of the famous Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway (E&N) steam their way across this scene of the settlement at Horseshoe Bay in 1891.

The large white house on the far left was the mill manager’s residence. The area is now Waterwheel Park. The predominant centre road is present-day Mill Street, with Saint Michael and All Angels Anglican Church, erected in 1891 by Rev. David Holmes, situated on the mid-right.

Across from the railway station, on the right side of Mill Street in the foreground, was the Conway house and telegraph office. Heritage Square now occupies that site.

(Please drop by the Chemainus Visitors Centre to buy your Official Mural Guide. Proceeds from the sale go to the Chemainus Festival of Murals Society).

For more information on this mural visit:
More about this project

Where to Find This Mural

Location: 2877 Mill St, Chemainus, BC, Canada Get Directions