Michael Cavanaugh is an artist, community arts facilitator, and social entrepreneur working out of the St James Town neighbourhood in Toronto. He is currently director of the Bell Box Murals Project, program director at St James Town Arts, and owner of Metroglyph Art Services.
Since 2009 artists from the Bell Box Murals Project have painted 172 murals on Bell Canada outdoor utility boxes in 23 communities in Ontario and Quebec.
Michael’s recent murals include the Cabbagetown Neighbours Heritage Mural, created in partnership with Poonam Sharma, and the Neighbourhood Of Nations Mural in St Jamestown, created in partnership with Poonam Sharma and Catherine Tammaro.
Michael has an Honours BFA in painting from the University of Manitoba, attended the Banff School of Fine Arts, the Ontario College of Art and taught design and painting at Lakehead University.
- Vice-president, board of directors, Mural Routes
- Contributed the arts and culture section of the Yonge Street Heritage Conservation District proposal
- Participant in the Toronto Art Foundation’s Transforming Communities Through Art study
- Received grants from Enterprising Nonprofits TO for feasibility study and business plan for community murals social enterprise
- Awarded hot desk residency at the Centre for Social Innovation Regent Park
- Participant in StreetARToronto graffiti vandalism focus group