Mural Routes and York Heritage Properties are seeking expressions of interest for an upcoming project: the South Liberty Silo Murals. This is an open call for Canadian mural artists. EOIs are due by Monday, April 24th at 5pm. For complete details and contact information, please read the PDF Request for Expressions of Interest- South Liberty Trail.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are inviting artists to create super graphics on silos in Liberty Village, so that they become art installations as well as industrial artifacts. Designs should be colourful, contemporary, edgy and smart. They should be guided by the general theme of “New ideas in old buildings.”
1) The South Liberty Trail Silo Murals are a partnership of York Heritage Properties (the property owners) and Mural Routes.
2) The goal of the project is to create outdoor murals on four silos and two hoppers as part of the way finding for South Liberty Trail. Please see attached images.
3) The surface areas to be painted at each site vary from 200m2 to 1400m2.
4) The location of the project is Liberty Village, Toronto, Canada Locations for the silos and hoppers: 2 Atlantic Avenue, 2 Jefferson Avenue, Fraser Avenue, Mowat Avenue, Dufferin Street. Please see map.
5) Silos and hoppers vary in size. Please see sample photos in PDF document.
6) The competition is limited to professional Canadian artists who can demonstrate past experience in outdoor mural creation and installation.
7) The competition will be a two-stage process: Four or more artists will be selected from the submitted REOI’s to prepare design drawings; Four artists will be selected from the design submissions to execute the murals, and will work in consultation with Mural Routes and York Heritage Properties to prepare the final designs for the murals; At the discretion of the Selection Committee, artists may be assigned to paint a silo and a hopper, or a silo only.
8) The substrate is metal that has been cleaned and painted with Rust inhibitive Epoxy primer (Sherwin William Macro Poxy 646)
9) Paint and lifting equipment will be provided.
10) The artists will use materials and finishes approved by Mural Routes and York Heritage Properties.
11) Personal accident insurance is the responsibility of the artists.
12) On site painting must take place on a schedule agreed to by York Heritage Properties in summer or early fall 2017.
13) A written agreement will be entered into by Mural Routes and the selected artists.
14) Copyright of the artwork will remain with the artists, but Mural Routes and York Heritage Properties retain the right to use images for promotional purposes.
1) A design fee of $500 will be paid for each design.
2) The artists’ fees for each for each silo and hopper will be between $1250 and $9300 depending on the size of the specific site(s).
3) Payment for the project will be made in instalments as per individual contracts.
4) Accommodation (approx. 2 weeks) and travel expenses will be provided for artists from outside of the Greater Toronto Area subject to approval of Mural Routes.
5) A per diem for travel will be provided for GTA based artists
6) Paint and lifting equipment will be supplied.
7) All other expenses are the responsibility of the artist.
1) Artists must be able to demonstrate successful completion of high quality outdoor murals within the past 5 years.
2) Selected artists must have Working at Heights certification and comply with all Ontario Ministry of Labour Health and Safety codes and City of Toronto by-laws while working on site.
3) Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on April 24, 2017
For complete details and contact information, please read the PDF Request for Expressions of Interest- South Liberty Trail.