October/November 2019 (date TBC) – Toronto, Canada
Mural Routes’ 2019 Symposium Committee invites proposals for participation in the upcoming 19th National Mural Symposium, to be held in the Fall of 2019 (date TBC) in Toronto, Ontario (venue TBC). The deadline for all submissions is March 31st, 2019.
Mural Routes is the only member-based not-for-profit arts service organization in Canada dedicated to the creation, development and promotion of public wall art. Our vision is to inspire the creation of extraordinary public wall art that serves as a catalyst for community building.
The National Mural Symposium is a professional development and networking event for mural artists, administrators and mural producers to teach, learn, share and explore current trends and challenges in the field of mural art. Mural Routes hosts The National Mural Symposium every second year.
Practitioners and researchers of the field are welcome to submit proposals for this conference. Individuals do not need to be Mural Routes members to submit.
Murals: The Message of the Medium
As murals and street art gain popularity and support, we aim to look to the inherent message behind the medium that brings the power of art into the public realm. We plan to dig deeper into the history of murals as a medium for social and environmental good, and explore current projects harnessing that power.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The National Mural Symposium features exciting keynotes, presentations, lightning talks, and an ample amount of time for networking and social events.
We are seeking proposals for:
- 30 min sessions (20 min presentation, 10 min questions) – can be a formal paper, a how-to session, a talk or case study on your own project.
- 90 min sessions (30 min presentation, 40 min discussion, 20 min questions) – can be leading a professional forum (convene a discussion or debate about timely and critical topics of interest to the mural art community), community of practice (meeting around a question, problem, or platform of common interest in the field), an interactive workshop, or a panel discussion.
- 5 min lightning talks – can spark questions with an ultra-quick talk or presentation
Proposals that relate to the theme will be most fully considered for the conference.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Case Studies and Innovative Project Overviews
- Innovative Projects based in Collaboration
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Diversifying the Mural Artist and Managers Arts Field
- History and Evolution of Public Mural Making
- Environmentally Conscious Techniques and Materials
- Harnessing Sponsorship, Fundraising, Arts Philanthropy for Good
- Arts-based Business and Community Development
- Reinvention in the Arts, Culture, and/or Arts Administration
- Race and Gender in Murals and Public Art
- Cases for Change in the Arts
- Emerging Pedagogies
- National or World Trends in Murals
- International Exchange and Cross Border Collaboration
Ready to submit? Fill out the form below by 11:59PM EST on March 31st, 2019.
Information in the proposal forms should be entered accurately (e.g. spelling of names, affiliations, titles) as this information will appear in Symposium proceedings, website, and promotional materials.
All submissions will undergo a peer review. A jury will determine all accepted proposals and the final composition of all sessions.
PLEASE NOTE – Registration fees will be waived for presenters of the National Mural Symposium and an honorarium will be offered to those selected to present. Travel bursaries might be available for those coming from outside the GTA (funding pending).
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com